Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Ronan, my mother died in February 2015., but it seemed that there was no will. Howeve…

Customer Question
Hi Ronan, my mother...
Hi Ronan, my mother died in February 2015., but it seemed that there was no will. However I chased it up, there had been a will made in January 2007, but it had a court order placed on it. I discovered that my sister was the executor who denied the placement of this Order. However only today I have received a copy of my mothers will which states, I give devise and bequeath all my property of every kind and description both real and personal, that I mady die possessed of or entitled to, to my daughter Terry Moran for her own use, and benefit absolutely and I appoint her to be the sole executrix of this my will. But if she does not survive me then I give and bequeath all my property of every kind and description both real and personal as aforesaid and which includes my dwelling house to my granddaughter Wasima Lamrani and I appoint her to be sole executrix of my will in witness whereof I have hereunto subscribed my name this 111th day of January 2007". We area family of 7 survivin
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Estate Law
6/3/2015
Estate Lawyer: Ronanmu,
 replied 3 years ago
Ronanmu
I am unsure what you mean by a court order placed on will. Was there a Court case, was probate extracted, What did the order say??
I can only tell you that my late mother's solicitor informed me when I requested information with regard to a potential will that in fact there had been an initial Will in 1996 and updated in 2007 but that a Court Order had been placed on it, and therefore could not be opened...I am afraid I don't know anything else about that or indeed how to go about getting information on a Court Case other than going to the local Courthouse and making enquiries. How and when this Court Order was lifted I am afraid I also don't know, and it's increasingly difficult to get answers from the Executrix. Perhaps you might be able to advise me as to what I should do next Can I prove that there is a conflict of interest with regard to the Executrix? Or does this depnd on whatever further information I can gather. Thank you..
Estate Lawyer: Ronanmu,
 replied 3 years ago
I afraid what you are saying doesn't make any sense in relation to the Court Order. Only the executrix would have been entitled to sight of the will and you would not have been entitled to a copy any (whether a court order exists or not)
I am not sure either why you suggest there would be a conflict of interest for the executor??