J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in estate planning including wills, trusts and succession planning.
64316804

I live in Arkansas and my mother-in-law has been declared financilly

Customer Question

I live in Arkansas and my mother-in-law has been declared financilly and mentally incompetant. She currently has $10,000 in her checking account. I would like to place her in a nursing home through Medicaid. She will not sign any power of attorney willingly. What are my options?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you today but please note this is general information only, not legal advice.
I am sorry you are dealing with this situation. Unfortunately, if she has been declared incompetent, you will have to seek a court ordered guardianship over her.
Here is a link to a fact sheet regarding guardianship: www.arlegalservices.org/files/FSGuardianship.pdf
In addition, here is a link to the probate court forms in which the Petition for Appointment can be found: www.courts.arkansas.gov/forms-and-publications/court-forms/probate-division/forms
All my best & encouragement.
Kindly remember the only way experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on ok, good or excellent service even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. You must complete the rating for the expert to receive any credit. If, for any reason you feel that a 2 or 1 rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns.
All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you.