How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J. Warren Your Own Question
J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2241
Experience:  Experience in estate planning including wills, trusts and succession planning.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
J. Warren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Arkansas and my mother-in-law has been declared financilly

Customer Question

I live in Arkansas and my mother-in-law has been declared financilly and mentally incompetant. She currently has $10,000 in her checking account. I would like to place her in a nursing home through Medicaid. She will not sign any power of attorney willingly. What are my options?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you today but please note this is general information only, not legal advice.
I am sorry you are dealing with this situation. Unfortunately, if she has been declared incompetent, you will have to seek a court ordered guardianship over her.
Here is a link to a fact sheet regarding guardianship:
In addition, here is a link to the probate court forms in which the Petition for Appointment can be found:
All my best & encouragement.
Kindly remember the only way experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on ok, good or excellent service even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. You must complete the rating for the expert to receive any credit. If, for any reason you feel that a 2 or 1 rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns.
All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you.