Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My father died in 1988. My step mother died today. She has…

Customer Question
My father died in 1988...
My father died in 1988. My step mother died today. She has sisters, but no children. The deed to house is now in her name. Who inherits the house?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Estate Law
6/2/2015
Estate Lawyer: J. Warren, Attorney replied 3 years ago
J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney
Hello my name is ***** ***** I look forward to providing you information. Please note:
(1) this is general information and is not legal advice. I never propose a specific course of action. There is no attorney-client relationship or privilege that is formed when communicating to an expert on this site. The site repeats this disclaimer numerous times. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and
(2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
My condolences on your loss. I am assuming when you state "The deed to house is now in her name" that you mean your step mom.
If you step mom did not leave a will and there was no provision for the house to be held in a trust for her life with the remainder to you at the end of her life, under intestate laws, unless she adopted you, the house will go to her siblings. I realize this seems unfair but unless she had a will that directs the house to you, her sisters will be in line to inherit the house.
All my best & encouragement.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. If, for any reason you feel that a 2 or 1 rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns.
Kindly remember the only way experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on ok, good or excellent service even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. You must complete the rating for the expert to receive any credit.
All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you.
Here is a link to the intestate succession (meaning probate without a will):
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=prob&group=06001-07000&file=6400-6414
If your step mother had a will, she could dispose of the property as she wishes which could leave you with no standing to inherit the house is she did not provide for that. This is often a sad and unfair result when a step child is prevented from inheriting anything.
Kindly remember the only way experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on ok, good or excellent (3,4 or 5)service even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. You must complete the rating for the expert to receive any credit. If, for any reason you feel that a 2 or 1 rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.