Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

How can a temporary executor of an estate extend his term.

Customer Question
If a real estate property...
How can a temporary executor of an estate extend his term. If a real estate property is sold but the date of closing is after the term of temporary executors has expired what can be done
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Estate Law
5/29/2015
Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 3 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
Well, that depends.
If there is already a closing date set for the estate
If so, then the executor files a motion with the probate court, asking to extend that date. The Court will agree if the request is reasonable and the Executor has reason for making it.
If there is no closing date set, but beneficiaries are filing to close
If so, then the executor files a response, asking the Court for more time and to deny the beneficiaries a sooner closing date.
If there is no closing date set
If not, then the executor does not need to file anything, per se. The Executor has discretion to wind up the probate matter - generally speaking - when they feel all has been taken care of.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.