How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 41573
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife's sister passed away after having sold a court award

Customer Question

My wife's sister passed away after having sold a court award to peach tree funding. When my wife called peach tree to find out about any money's left, or at least detailed paperwork. At first they told her nothing was left. Then after about another two calls. A rep. Told her that she would have to file a claim to get whatever might be left or paperwork stating so. My question is , what kind of claim does my wife have to file, and who does she have to file it with. She is, and has , paperwork stating she is the beneficiary to her sisters estate.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.
MA has a simplified informal probate process in front of a magistrate.This is filed in the county where she deceased and you will need a certified death certificate.
You can be appointed personal representative and receive letters from the court.This then allows you as court appointed representative to receive any assets here from them as well as access any bank accounts the deceased may have had.
If the petition is satisfactory, and there are no objections, the court magistrate will grant the petition and appoint the personal representative to manage the affairs of the estate, effective immediately.
Here are forms and step by step.
This is the only way they will release the funds and talk to you is once you are court appointed by the local court.
I am so sorry for your loss here.
I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 2 years ago.
More about simplified probate.
Law for you on informal probate.
Thanks again for letting me help you.Informal probate will let you collect nay funds that are out there.
One more about informal probate and the steps to file here.
JA will email you our chat with forms and information above when you positive rate.

Related Estate Law Questions