Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

My husband and I had a revocable trust years. Five

Customer Question
My husband and I had...
My husband and I had a revocable trust for some years. Five years age he died. Do I have another trust made or can I just bring the original one up to date. I am 73 yrs old and want to add my current condo to it. I am selling the previous home on land contract. Will an elder attorney help me at a low cost?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Estate Law
5/26/2015
Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am sorry to hear about your loss.
It may be best to create a new trust at this time, because based on what you are telling me - "When I sold the previous home, I had an attorney give me a paper stating that I was the sole and legal owner of that property now" - I am venturing a guess that the trust may have been dissolved.
Regardless, it is best to simply dissolve the trust (or confirm its dissolution if it already was) and create a new one.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Ely, Counselor at Law