How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 102601
Experience:  Fully licensed attorney in Texas in private practice.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Must a person who inherits money from a person that lives

Customer Question

Must a person who inherits money from a person that lives in TENN the executor of the
estate states that the person must drive to tenn from NC and see the executor of the estate in person and show them her ID. Is it a state law that require that the executor
must see the person
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
No, there is no such law in NC under Chapter 28A (administration of estates). See here.
The executor must do their due diligence to make sure that they are distributing the assets to the right person. If they are asking the beneficiary to make a trip to another state simply to claim the gift, then this is (generally) too much.
Most executors would settle for a fax/email of the ID and other supporting documents of identity.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear Sir,
My question is there a law requirement in Tenn. that the is state where executor is representing
the of the estate in morristown tenn
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Ah, my apologies. I though you were asking about NC law.
The answer is still no. No such law exists under TN's Title 30 (Administration of Estates), Title 31 (Descent And Distribution), or Title 32 (Wills).
Gentle Reminder: Please, use the REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or rate positively and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.