Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

Yes a question: is probate required when anyone dies?

Customer Question

Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!
Not necessarily. Probate is only necessary in California if there are probate assets in excess of $150,000. Certain assets pass outside probate and thus are not governed by the will and thus do not require probate. These include the following: i) joint brokerage and bank accounts which vest automatically in the surviving owner upon the death of one owner; ii) real property held as joint tenants or tenants by the entirety, which also vest automatically in the surviving owner upon the death of one owner; and iii) assets with designated beneficiaries other than the estate such as life insurance and retirement accounts. Also, assets in a revocable living trust are not subject to probate. If the total probate assets are $150,000 or less, probate can be avoided by using a Small Estate Affidavit.
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!