How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father died last year, and i just found out that he and

Customer Question

My father died last year, and i just found out that he and my mother have not filed taxes since he retried 20 years ago. My mother is on her own and I would like to correct the situation. Where do I start?
She lives in california
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
You really need to hire an accountant (CPA) to help you with this - some of these tax years are going to be too old (the IRS will generally only go back 10 years), but an accountant can assist you in getting extensions and hopefully minimizing any penalties that may apply (if any).Helping your mother locate bank statements and financial documents is going to be the most productive use of your time, but hiring a professional is going to be the best way to fix this problem.

Related Estate Law Questions