How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J. Warren Your Own Question
J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2245
Experience:  Experience in estate planning including wills, trusts and succession planning.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
J. Warren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just found out that my mother's health care power of attorney

Customer Question

I just found out that my mother's health care power of attorney is NO longer in effect because my sister got a new HC POA. My mom is in the hospital now & the nurses were instructed not to discuss her condition with me. My sister & brother-in-law are using her month income to buy new items for their home. My mom is aware of this, but she feels stuck now. Is there any recourse for this case? I used to take care of her finances but my sister is now taking care of this. Help!
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I look forward to providing you information. Please note:
(1) this is general information and is not legal advice. I never propose a specific course of action. There is no attorney-client relationship or privilege that is formed when communicating to an expert on this site. The site repeats this disclaimer numerous times. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and
(2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am very sorry to hear about your situation. An option in this situation is to petition the court to be appointed guardian and conservator over your mother. This appointment is superior to a power of attorney. However, this does require formal pleadings and proceedings in probate court to obtain an order. Because of the combative nature and technical aspects of these types of cases a local lawyer should be retained. The Ohio Bar Association has a listing of County Bar Lawyer Referral Service which can assist you with contacting a lawyer in your area:
Some County Probate Courts have forms available if one decides to proceed on their own. The information regarding forms availability can be obtained by contacting the County Court Clerk or accessing online at the particular County website.
In addition to petitioning to become guardian, you may report abuse and exploitation to adult protective services may be contacted and a complaint filed. Here is the link to the Ohio Legal Services Adult Protection Services:
All my best & encouragement.
Kindly remember the only way experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on ok, good or excellent service even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. You must complete the rating for the expert to receive any credit. If, for any reason you feel that a 2 or 1 rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns.
All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you.