Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

The title to my mom and sister car is their names how do I…

Customer Question
The title to my mom...
The title to my mom and sister car is their names how do I get in my name after they pass.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Estate Law
5/21/2015
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 3 years ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.Here are the steps and things you need to transfer the car title according to DMV here in Tennessee..
Locate the title and any applicable legal documents related to the death, such as the death certificate, a will, and any documents naming you as the power of attorney or executor of the estate.
Complete and have notarized an Affidavit of Inheritance (Form RV-F1310501), if there was no will left by the deceased.
Visit your County Clerk’s office with the above documents, possible whomever is the power of attorney or executor of the estate, and:
Proofs of identification and residency.
The titling fee of $11 and your County Clerk’s fee.
Any required taxes (see below).
Any license plate you’d like to transfer to the vehicle.
Here is the DMV site with the forms referenced above.See under inheriting a car..
http://www.dmv.org/tn-tennessee/title-transfers.php
This should allow for transfer of the car title when the time comes to do so.If you cannot locate the original title you can order a duplicate title and use that instead.
I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.