How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PocketLawyer Your Own Question
PocketLawyer, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 25
Experience:  10 years of probate, estate planning and real estate law. Over 600 probate cases handled personally.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
PocketLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son deceased had money in bank money has been in bank

Customer Question

my son deceased had money in bank money has been in bank since 1988 how can I get the money
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  PocketLawyer replied 2 years ago.
You'll likely have to probate your son's estate to secure authority to collect those funds. If your son had children or a surviving spouse, they will likely be the heirs in the absence of a Last Will and Testament.
Contact the clerk's office in the county where your son resided at death and ask them about the local probate procedures.
Once you have the authority, you should be able to secure the funds and pass them on to the rightful heirs (you perhaps). Please note that if the money hasn't been touched in nearly 20 years, the money may have been turned over to the Oklahoma Unclaimed Property division. You may still need to go through probate procedures to secure those funds.
I hope this points you in the right direction and answers your direct questions. If you need to follow up, feel free to reply here. Otherwise, please rate my answer so I may receive credit for my time. Thank you.

Related Estate Law Questions