How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney2020 Your Own Question
Attorney2020, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2578
Experience:  Estate planning and wealth preservation attorney.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Attorney2020 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need advice about how I can protect myself & my interests

Customer Question

I need advice about how I can protect myself & my interests in the event my husband predeceases(uncomfortable family). Also if I decide to leave before that
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 2 years ago.
An estate plan setting forth the distribution of the assets would suffice. A will and living trust would be the governing documents. In case you were to leave the marriage, the court will allocate the property based upon a theory of community property (splitting the assets down the middle that were earned during the marriage) or equitable distribution based upon what is fair to both parties.
I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. Thank you.
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 2 years ago.
Please rate my answer. Otherwise I will receive no credit for my time and efforts. Thank you for your cooperation.