Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
10285032

I just found out that WellsFargo has put a judgement on me

Customer Question

I just found out that WellsFargo has put a judgement on me and brothers for a foreclosure of a house that belong to my mother. She was in a nursing home with alzheimers. She couldn't pay so it was foreclosed. She was on mediaid. We didn't not sign on the debt. This happen in 2011 and I have had no notice that a judgement was going to be put on me. She had no monies. I had to bury her with my monies. My brothers have no assets so this judgement will be on me. Can they do this?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
No, in general, all they would be entitled to is the house, unless they can prove you took assets from the estate and did not pay the loan or judgment. Since you received no notice of any suit and her estate was essentially insolvent and you are not on the mortgage you have to file in court to have this judgment vacated and I am afraid that means you need an attorney to do so. If you prove the judgment lien is invalid, you can also get the court to award you attorney's fees for the mortgage company not notifying the estate of the suit and obtaining an improper judgment against the heirs.