Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

My parents-father deceased-had my name put on their account

Customer Question

My parents-father deceased-had my name put on their account about 4-5 yrs. ago. When my mother passes are my siblings entitled to any of the money in the account. The trust states after everything else is dispersed then my older sister and I split everything else between us. What about the account that would leave me the sole holder?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!
This account would automatically vest in you outside the trust. Certain assets pass outside probate and thus are not governed by the will and thus do not require probate. also, with respect to living trusts, only assets held by the trusts at death are governed by the trust documents. Assets passing automatically at death include the following: i) joint brokerage and bank accounts which vest automatically in the surviving owner upon the death of one owner; ii) real property held as joint tenants or tenants by the entirety, which also vest automatically in the surviving owner upon the death of one owner; and iii) assets with designated beneficiaries other than the estate such as life insurance and retirement accounts.
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!