How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3170
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was advised by the hospital and social worker that my husband

Customer Question

I was advised by the hospital and social worker that my husband who is in the later stages of dementia is not capable of signing a power of attorney....what are my next steps?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the question. I am sorry to read of this dilemma.
If he lacks mental capacity you would need to have a court appoint you as his agent. This is known as guardianship, and the court will want a written application and likely medical testimony/hearing to confirm. Normally handled by local estate counsel petition. would you like a directory as well, no additional charge, for finding counsel to so apply?

Related Estate Law Questions