Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor. I run my own practice that specializes in Estate Preparation and Administration
18572087

My mother passed a few years ago and willed

Customer Question

Hi my name is lynn. My mother passed a few years ago and willed her home to me and my nephew in the state of south carolina. Will I am overseas my nephew had the will probated. The home had an existing mortage that was being paid by my nephew, however he has defaulted by 3 months. It is my understanding that the mortage is still in my mothers name. The loan was never transferred to my name or his name. Will this default impact my credit?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, Lynn. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. No, this does not affect you in any way. A debt is owed by the estate, and by the deceased mother, and NOT you. If you inherit something from the estate, you receive it without debts or obligations, and since this debt was in your mother's name, it does not personally affect you. It can affect how much you receive, or if you receive anything from the estate, but your credit is not affected. Sincerely,Dimitry, Esq.