Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

Divorced in NJ in 2012. One child came of the marriage thru

Customer Question

Divorced in NJ in 2012.
One child came of the marriage thru adoption from the state. Child was almost 7 when adopted. He was 15 at the time of the divorce. He is now 18.
Final divorce decree states that "parents will create a will and testament naming the child as sole beneficiary to their estate."
I haven't spoken or seen child for almost 3 years. I made a will and specifically told the lawyer I didn't want to leave him anything.
Can child file a motion stating I am in contempt of court with my divorce decree
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.
WOW. Technically, the refusal to follow a court order could result in a contempt citation. Beyond that, I've never heard of such a decree in a divorce case, and I've been around a long, long time. Was that agreed to in a property settlement? I cannot. imagine a judge ordering that unless the parties agreed to it. Did you discuss this with the lawyer who prepared your will? It seems to me that you should have a lawyer go back and revisit the divorce decree with a motion to modify; however, as I said before, I've never heard of this, so I can't tell you what your chances are.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the response.
Just to clarify...you don't know the answer to the question "Can a child (who is 18) file a motion stating that I am in contempt of court with my divorce decree (from his father) by not leaving him as heir to my estate. "
You stated it could result in a contempt citation however, my question asked if the child could file the motion.
In my divorce decree under Waiver of Claims there is a sentence that falls under the category of Rights of the Children Both parents will create a will and testament naming the child as the sole benefactor to their estate.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 years ago.
My offhand opinion, for whatever it's worth, is that the child has no standing to bring an action for contempt. I also think that such a provision is "off-the-wall". That said, this is far outside of my normal practice area, so I will opt out and open up the question for others. Perhaps someone else has some practical experience with this exact question.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Much appreciated. Have a wonderful day.