How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son and I were receiving SS benefits due to my husbands

This answer was rated:

My son and I were receiving SS benefits due to my husbands death. However, when I went back to work, I no longer received the money.

My son still receives benefits, but will stop at age 18. They now claim they overpaid me
during the years that I had gone back to work. I have my bank statements that clearly shows there were no deposits from SS during the time frame they are claiming I received the money. I have been going through this for a year or more and at at this point, they have taken my son's check for November.

I am at a loss at this point, I can't seem to get anyone to see the situation as it clearly is.
I absolutely did not receive this money, approximately, $6,600.00

Is there any help out there trying to get through to this agency?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You need to start by filing a written appeal to the SSA explaining the situation with proof of your bank records attached showing no payments were received. I know you went through the local case worker but you have to send it to the DC office now too and you need to also tell them that they have no proof any money was received by you as it never was deposited in your account and to send you any proof they think they have.

Once you receive a response from DC, if they deny your written appeal, then you need to engage a local SSA attorney and will have to move to the next step of requesting an appeal hearing where you go before a hearing officer with your evidence and they will invalidate the reimbursement claim.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you