LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney
Experience:  Private Practice; Elder Law Attorney; Estate Planning; Attorney Mentor
63726236

In the State of Texas, what is the time frame of transferring

In the State of Texas, what is the time frame of transferring property to qualify for Medicad, such as moving to a nursing facility?

LegalGems :

Hi; My goal is to provide you with great service - if you have any questions during our chat, please ask! I'll do my best to ensure your satisfaction! In 2006, the state increased the look back period to 60 months - so any transfers made within the past 5 years can be considered as part of the eligibility process.

Customer:

So in order for the lady to go to a nursing facility, the family or the person will be responsible for the full cost. Am I understanding that correctly?

LegalGems :

Only if she transferred, within the past 5 years, assets with a fair market value that would have covered the care and made her ineligible.

LegalGems :

If the value was only say $10K, that would only disqualify for the period of time that amount would cover (around 1.5 months).

Customer:

Oh, I see. In other words if she transferred property that had a fmv of say 30,000 it would disquilfy her for approximately 6 months.

LegalGems :

The state uses $130.88 per day so you would divide $30K by 130.88 to come up with the number of days of inelgibility.

LegalGems :

So around 7.5 months (give or take due to my math skills-or lack thereof...)

Customer:

Thank you so much for your help!!

I hope you found the information I provided useful.
Future requests can be labeled "TO LEGAL GEMS" followed by your question.

It would be appreciated if you complete the admin's survey - it's like our report card!

Thanks, and take care!

(PS-thanks for the bonus-much appreciated!)