How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118718
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My aunt and uncle passed away a couple of years ago. There

This answer was rated:

My aunt and uncle passed away a couple of years ago. There was no estate as they only had unsecured debt, medical bills, and owed way more on the house than it is worth. The attached letters were recently received and we are wondering what this could be? Their 2 surviving adult daughters could really use the money if it's legit. Any online national unclaimed property websites?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, if they seek to claim any money on behalf of the estate, they will have to open probate and any money would have to go to the creditors and they would not be able to just keep the money I am afraid. At this point the estate is insolvent and they can leave it to the creditors without incurring any legal expenses. If they find this unclaimed money, then they will need an attorney to open probate and will have to negotiate with the creditors.

However, they can look for unclaimed money on each secretary of state's website where their parents may have done business as there is no one site to check everywhere, each state has to be checked separately.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Both letters reference a specific $14,146.77 amount. Who are these companies and how do they find the info?

Thank you for your response.

These companies go through each state's database from the secretary of state to find unclaimed assets. If they have unclaimed assets though, the heirs will have to open the probate to collect them and then would have to notify creditors because creditors must be paid before heirs can receive any of the money.
Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you