Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
10285032

if I receive money from the estate of a relative who is direct

if I receive money from the estate of a relative who is direct relative in Canada who has past away in Canada and is a citizen of Canada, is the money I receive taxable when I receive it on my personal tax returns in Arizona and Federal tax returns?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

For Arizona and Federal purposes there is no tax on inheritances. You do have to complete an IRS Form 3520 on receipt of foreign gifts over $100,000. If you set up a bank account in Canada for the funds, you do have to file a Treasury Form TD-F-90-22.1, to disclose foreign accounts over $10,000 and if the amounts are over $10,000 it has to be reported on your tax return as foreign accounts.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.