How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118139
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

so I am receiving rent from Uni students how must that be handled?

This answer was rated:

so I am receiving rent from Uni students how must that be handled? I was making a salary from my mom under the conservatorship. Now I can't, so what do i do with this money half of which is my son's since he and i split the estate?
Thank you for your question and for asking for me. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The rent must go into a separate account and quarterly after expenses the proceeds from the rent should be shared with your son who is the other owner on the estate. You should have a separate account for the rents from your personal account so that they can be properly accounted for. You should also have a separate account for security deposits, since those have to be returned to the tenant, unless they breach the contract or commit damages, upon them leaving the premises within 21 days of the end of their tenancy and you do not want to get caught short.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My son is only 13 years old. Does that quarterly reporting requirement change in that case?

Thank you for your response.

If your son is a minor, then you should open yet another account, trust account, and either annually or quarterly you should be putting his 1/2 of the net proceeds from the rents into that account and keep records, because you could be charged with stealing the money if you do not properly account for it. When he is 18 you would turn the account over to him.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

His trust funds can be used for his needs or not?

Thank you for your response.

Yes, his trust funds can be used for his actual needs and you need to keep receipts as proof of how they were used and you need to be careful not to use them for things like helping you pay general household bills even though he lives in the house.
Law Educator, Esq. and 5 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you