Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

are there any giude lines for a client to use as a tool when

hiring an attorney? my attorney and...
are there any giude lines for a client to use as a tool when hiring an attorney?
my attorney and i have nothing in wtitting and he has been having lenthy conversations and ranbling letters to the oposing side who represents a multi million dollor estate that i am 25 percent of.
i am getting more frustrated with my attorney as the trustee is months behind the ead line of giving complete accounting.
i have done erresearch on the statutes and case law in texs and iam very confussed on on subject of why my attorney is not stating statute,the location of the statute and case law that clarifies the content of accounting?
i contend if my attorney states the facts in the trust,the stautes and case law that would be the mpst cost effective and produce more than his atempts to mediate.
to me mediation is asking for less that what the law requires
10/24/2013
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

When it comes to choosing an attorney the first thing you need to do is ask around about his credentials. The best place to do this is the local probate court and speak to some attorneys. Second, ask friends who have had estates. Third, in your conversations with the attorney if he is coming off as rambling and confused as you say, then this is a bad sign. Finally, it comes down to comfort with the attorney, if he responds to you in a reasonable time and if he communicates with you and follows the direction you want to go in then this is important.

If your attorney is getting behind and is not doing what they are supposed to do, then this is good cause to terminate him and find another attorney.

If he is not citing case law or statutes to support his arguments, this is his professional discretion and every attorney has his own style and that is not something we can judge or comment on in this site as we cannot know sufficient facts to make that determination as there is no confidentiality here on this site to do so.

I would suggest if you are having bad feelings about this attorney, they are likely true and you need to go interview some other probate attorneys and you can even ask their opinion about your attorney without letting them know he is representing you and most attorneys will give you an opinion.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.

so if i hear you right there are no guild lines or web sights that discribe how to have and maintain health relations with legal representation.

every other proffession has a duty of ethical responcability.

its sad when i feel i need a lawyer to protect me as wise comsumer of legal servise.

if i insist on a written agreement for my current attorney so that i am insured he follow my direction and insist the trust,the statutes and case law are available for all benifishuaries to have full disclosure of "ALL" information as the stautes of texas detail plus case law that clarifies questions should he abide by my written requirments?

as it is he takes my money and does what ever he wants and attempts to mediate.this must stop.

again are there any guild lines for a wise comsumer of legal servise?

Thank you for your response.

There are no official guidelines, no. It is all based on experience and practice and trial and error really. It is more common sense and practical application.

The ethical duty of responsibility is to represent you zealously and to have reasonable communication with the client. This is pretty broad and very subjective as to what it means. If he is missing deadlines and not doing work, this could possibly be construed as breaching his duty to a client, but again without knowing why he is doing this we cannot say that he is violating his duty.

Texas does not mandate a written agreement although they strongly urge attorneys to use one with clients. If you insist on one, the attorney should provide one.

There really are no other actual guidelines in Texas though other than what has already been mentioned.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney