How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 13656
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello I have question regarding my Last Will and Testament. My

This answer was rated:

I have question regarding my Last Will and Testament.
My will was written and sign in 1992 in Massachusetts.
Over the years we moved to Arizona, sold our old property and bought two new houses.
In my Will point 9 says:
"In the event that my beloved husband, predeceases me, then i give, devise, and bequeath the residue of my entire estate, both real and personal, or mixed, wherever situated and whether acquired before or after the execution of this my Last Will and Testament, and over which I may have the power of attorney unto my beloved son.
If my son predeceases me, then his share is to pass to his living issue, if any.

My question is: Do I have to make any additional changes in my Will if I moved to Arizona, sold my old house and bought new properties?
Thank you for your question.

Your will makes no mention of specific properties from the language you shared, merely refering to your "entire estate", so there would be no need to prepare an amendment to your will simply because you moved or bought/sold new properties. Even if you did specifically mention a certain item in a Will "I leave my 1956 Chevy to my son", if you no longer have the item upon your passing, then the gift merely lapses.

As far as the Will itself, so long as a will met the execution requirements for a valid will in the state where the will was executed, then that out of state will be accepted. As a general rule, I used to tell people however that it never hurt to have a lawyer in a new state review the Will should they relocate, as state laws can vary. Additionally, whether you move or not, it is a good idea to review a copy of your Will every few years just to see whether you want to make any changes to the document itself.
RobertJDFL and 4 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Estate Law Questions