How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask GeorgetownLawyr Your Own Question
GeorgetownLawyr, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  Experience in Probate matters, including will contests and civil litgation related to estates.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
GeorgetownLawyr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughters father passed away a few weeks ago with no will

This answer was rated:

My daughters father passed away a few weeks ago with no will in Texas. She also has a half sister. His sisters and girlfriend have taken everything. The girlfriend seems to have moved in to his house now. What is the recourse of them taking belongings from his estate and removing and burning his things.

Hello and thank you for using our service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help you. I just ask for you to ask any additional questions you may have if you feel the question has not been answered. Also, IF I have bad news for you, please remember I am only the messenger, I will try my best to give you a solution, but sometimes the law does not have a good one.


Has anyone petitioned the probate court yet to probate his estate?

Do you have any proof of exactly what was in his estate and what has been taken?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I have an attorney starting the process for a Dependent Administration. By the time we arrived at the house it had been picked through. His truck and fire arms had been removed. When we arrived they were loading cars up advising it was just credit card statements. I snapped pictures of what I could while I was there. All his military stuff was supposedly divided up at the funeral between the sisters, girlfriend and half sister. My minor daughter was not even acknowledged as his daughter.

Ok, thanks. The estate belongs to his children if he was not married. The recourse is to have the court appoint an administrator of the estate. The administrator will provide an inventory of the estate to the court and ask the court to distribute the assets of the estate. At that point once you have a court order awarding those assets to his children you can present the order to the persons who took the property to turn it over. If they refuse they can be held in contempt of court and fined or jailed if they refuse to turn it over. You will need a court order for anything to happen at this point because without a will, no one has legal rights to anything until the court says so. I hope this helps clarify.


Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law or whether you dislike the answer) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance to you. If you feel I have not earned a positive rating, please give me a chance to do so. Keep in mind even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. We are not paid a salary here and positive ratings encourage experts to answer future questions. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just make sure you type: To Georgetown Lawyer on the subject line. Thank you!

GeorgetownLawyr and 4 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you