How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack R. Your Own Question
Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  Part of the 'Save the Dream
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Jack R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My aunt died a year and a half ago. A year ago both my mom

This answer was rated:

My aunt died a year and a half ago. A year ago both my mom and myself received a copy of the Revocable Trust Indenture which names us beneficiaries of several different stocks. My cousin is the trustee. Only just recently did we receive forms in the mail to initiate transfer of one of the stocks. We have no idea what the next steps are, and why we did not receive such forms for the other stocks. When I email my cousin she just says we will get info "soon" but she has said that months ago and never provides any kind of real info as to what the process and timetable really is. I don't want to be bothersome, but after a year and a half shouldn't we at least get some detailed info? We never received any accounting as to how many shares, etc. I don't want to get on her "bad side" by getting nasty or anything, but both my Mom and I are unsure as to how long this really will drag out, and if it really does need to take this long. Any advise?

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today. The time frame you mention does seem excessive. You are entitled to a full accounting of the trust each year. You must request such an accounting in writing and the trustee must respond. This should include all assets in the trust.


You can also ask for a statement of how the assets have been distributed in the trust. If you feel the trustee is mishandling the assets or failing her duties with respect to the trust you can bring an action against her for breach of fiduciary trust and or have the current trustee removed.


Since the trust is in PA. You should ask for a complete accounting of the trust, and get an explanation of why the assets have not been distributed in writing (certified mail). If the answers raise concerns, you should hire an attorney in California to look into the situation and take the appropriate action.


Be sure to keep copies of all correspondence, and keep a log of all communications with the trustee.


Please accept my answer with a rating of 3 or better so I may get credit for my response. If you have follow up questions please ask. Please note that paying the deposit does not cause funds to be disbursed until you rate my response (3 or greater).

Jack R. and 2 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you