How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 42327
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am listed in a will for my grandmother. She passed last

This answer was rated:

I am listed in a will for my grandmother. She passed last year and her house just sold. It's going through probate. How long does it take to get paid out? Why is it in probate?
Hi and welcome to XXXXX name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you tonight.I appreciate the chance to help.

Anytime a person deceases and there is a will it has to be filed for probate in the county where the person deceased.Someone is appointed personal representative by the court and is the person that is responsible for gathering and selling assets, paying claims, and taxes, etc.Probate from start to finish takes around a year.

The court here would approve any disbursement of funds at the end of probate.If you want to know about the estate the entire file is public record.You can go to the county clerk and read the file and order copies of anything you want including the will.

For there to be a sale of property the personal representative has to be appointed and then sign the closing documents on behalf of the estate.The funds are put in an estate account and the personal representative has a fiduciary duty to protect the funds and to distribute them according to the will.The personal representative should also communicate the progress and answer your questions about it as well.

I appreciate the chance to help you.Please let me know if you have more follow up.If you can give me the city /state I will be happy to locate the probate clerk for you.

Thanks again.
RayAnswers and other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you