How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7306
Experience:  30+ yrs. handling probate estate, wills, trust, inheritance & real estate related matters
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

TO Joseph; Florida, Estate/probate question. My mother

This answer was rated:

TO Joseph;

Florida, Estate/probate question.

My mother has been hospitalized a lot this yr. I am/was the executor. My brother does daily caretaking. In her dementia, and 3 mo hospital stay she can't remember I believe he convinced her to change will and add him to bank accts.

Is there any "notice" or letter I can file/deliver to banks/accounts when she passes away notifying them that the family is disputing the estate and to freeze all assets even if it is joint until we can file probate?
Hello and thanks for the question. That question should be asked directly to the bank. I suspect that the answer will be that upon the death of one joint owner of the account the law in FL immediately vests title to the account in the surviving owner. I therefore doubt that the bank can or would freeze the account absent a court order to do so. Thus, you will have to consider some kind of guardianship action for your mother while she is living in order to obtain jurisdiction over any of her assets. A Power Of Attorney will not work, unless she's still mentally competent to sign one.
I hope this Answer is helpful and that you will give it a positive rating. If not, then do not enter a rating at this time and send back a Reply for more information or clarification. You should consult a local attorney to verify that this information is accurate for your state. Thank you for using our service. We appreciate your business.

Irwin Law and other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you