Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

In the state of California does the executor of a will have

In the state of California does the executor of a will have to inform all of the heirs of how all property was dispersed ? Does the executor have the right to give some of the property to people not in the will without consulting the heirs?
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.

In the state of California does the executor of a will have to inform all of the heirs of how all property was dispersed ?

.

No, not directly. However, any heir can ask for a copy of the will so they can see how the testator directed their estate to be distributed. The executor also has to file an inventory of all assets as well as a final accounting with the court. These are all public documents once filed so anyone can get copies of them from the probate court clerk.

.

Does the executor have the right to give some of the property to people not in the will without consulting the heirs?

.
No, the executor is strictly bound by the directives in the will and would be legally prevented from unilaterally deciding to go against the will and give estate assets to people not named as beneficiaries. If they did so, the heirs could file a motion with the probate court to have the executor removed for breach of their fiduciary duty as well as getting an order to get the assets back or force the executor to reimburse the estate personally.
.
.
Thanks