How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nate Your Own Question
Nate, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10686
Experience:  Over 10 years of legal estate experience.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Nate is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in nh i bought a house in my own name.i dont really

This answer was rated:

I live in nh i bought a house in my own name.i dont really trust my girlfriend enought to put her on the deed shes hot headed and might try to throw me out if she gets pisssed! That being said,,,,,,,i do want her to be protected if i do die from getting thrown out in the street buy having her as a surviving rights owner is that correct or am i setting myself up for a danger of getting thrown out some how if shes goes bazerk!?? Thanks Bill
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

There are a couple good ways to do that, and one bad way. Let's just focus on the two go ways.

One good way is with a will. You can make her your heir and ensure that she gets the house upon your death. Once your estate is probated she will get the deed of the house in her name.

Another way is to set up a trust, where you are the current trustee and she is the successor trustee, and you make her the trust's beneficiary. You would put the house in the trust.

Like a will, you can change the trust at any time if your relationship status changes.

Trusts work similar to wills but they do not require one to go to probate court when the original trustee dies. The successor trustee automatically takes over. In the trust, you can give her the house upon your death.

Either a will or trust is fairly easy to set up. You can use a lawyer, or you can go to a self-help site like Rocket Lawyer or Legal Zoom and do it yourself.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so what is the bad way sir Thank u

You grant her the deed and reserve a life estate for yourself. That way her interest does not vest until you die.

However, unlike the two previous ways I described, you can't ever change it. That would be permanent.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Man thanks i had a feeling it was a bad thing to do,,,,,,a trust it is Have a great day sir!!

You too! Please be sure to rate my service before you go. Enjoy your weekend.

Nate and 5 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you