Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

My brother in law passed away without a will. He is survived

My brother in law passed away without a will. He is survived by a 15 year old daughter.
His only asset is a car worth 20K. he had many credit cards and debt.
what do we do with the car? There is no executer either.

Thomas McJD :

Hi, I'm Thomas and will be happy to assist you. My goal is to make you a very satisfied customer! Thanks in advance for your patience.

Thomas McJD :

The property can be placed in her name via a small estate affidavit. Here is an example: http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/sscdocs/packets/pbse1.pdf

Thomas McJD :

You can obtain a form specific for the county in which he passed away by contacting the court clerk for that county.

Thomas McJD :

She is not responsible for his debt.

Customer:

thank you for this quick response. we were unsure if that could be done, being she is a minor. Could his parents sell the car and give her the cash, once the car is in her name?

Thomas McJD :

Once the car is in her name, she could sell it even though she is a minor. Technically a minor cannot enter into a contract, but for things like this it occurs all the time.

Customer:

ok. thank you i believe that answers all my questions.