How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 116711
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the entitlement of a man,not declared as a common law

This answer was rated:

What is the entitlement of a man,not declared as a common law husband,of the estate of same woman,having died leaving same man with 50% of the house,fully owned by woman,in respect of motor vehicles or any other item(s) including money or other real property?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

When the man is not declared common law husband, did the two live as common law spouses and hold themselves out to others as being married?

Did the woman have a will leaving all of the property or 50% of the property to the man?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Paul,

are you still online?????

Yes, I am still here.

Did you see my questions for you? Can you answer those and explain what is going on for me?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

did you receive my earlier response????

No I apologize but I did not. Can you post it again. I am sorry for the inconvenience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We siblings really need to know his legal entitlement.we really dont want a legal scuffle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I suspect he may be a bit greedy, and is considering contesting the will.

Thank you for your response.

If there was no will and they did not hold each other out in public as husband and wife such to qualify as common law spouses, he legally is not entitled to anything other than a share of whatever his name is on. Thus, if his name is XXXXX XXXXX the house, he has no legal right in probate to the house, same with bank accounts or personal property. The personal property in the house he wants he has to prove is his property.

Unless he can prove they were common law spouses, he is entitled to nothing just for living as boyfriend and girlfriend. If he proves he was a common law spouse, then he would be entitled to 1/2 of her estate and the children of the deceased would get the other 1/2 share and if there were no children or grandchildren, then the siblings would take the 1/2 share.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again Paul

This situation exists in Jamaica.

Is this opinion germane to that country's justice system,as far as you know????

Yes, I did know when I answered that it was in Jamaica.

That was what my answer was based upon. His entitlement would be based on his proof that there was a legal common law marriage. Without common law marriage and no will leaving him anything he is entitled to nothing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Will reply finally tomorrow.


Appreciate your time sir.



Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you