How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband recently passed away, he has two sons whom we had

This answer was rated:

My husband recently passed away, he has two sons whom we had bought cars for but the titles are still in my husbands name. I am his beneficiary in his will but want to sign the titles over to his sons, I was told by MO dov that I could only do one without going through probate?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I am afraid that in order to change titles of vehicles or deeds on real estate, you must open probate on the estate. You can file a small estate affidavit in MO Probate Court to satisfy this requirement if the entire value of his estate is under $40,000 and you file the small estate affidavit with the will copy and fee of about $65 (See: Small Estate Affidavit). This small estate probate would be all you need, if you qualify based on total value of the estate, to get both titles changed. If your husband's estate does exceed $40,000 total, I am afraid to transfer you will need to go through regular probate

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Estate Law Questions