How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118086
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Where can I find a simple example of an advancement (prepayment

This answer was rated:

Where can I find a simple example of an advancement (prepayment of presumed inheritance), such as "We, , have given a with the expectation that the value of this gift shall be deducted from from their share of the proceeds of our estate upon death, as specified in , and that value will distributed in equal shares to the remaining inheritors"?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Do you already have a will written for your estate?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes. I am researching this question for my parents, who have a written for their estate in which I am named executor.


Thank you for your response.

If they have a will already, this has to be written as a codicil (amendment) to the will (typically these are put directly in the will though, because sometimes amendments to wills get lost or misplaced and big arguments occur). However, it can be done by codicil, in multiple original copies so that more than one person has the codicil duplicate original copy.

The agreement is simple, the agreement is worded as, Codicil and Advance of Inheritance Agreement: "We the grantors of this testament, on X date, have provided X, a beneficiary under our last will and testament dated X, the sum of Y, with the full agreement, knowledge and understanding that said sum will be a credit for an advance towards any sums that X would be entitled to under the will. Upon probate of the testament, said amount of Y shall be deducted from any amount or shares that X would otherwise be entitled to and those funds shall be equally distributed to the remaining heirs."

Typically, this clause is best inserted in the will and the will redrafted and signed, but you can type this as a codicil and have it signed in the presence of the notary and two witnesses and attach it to the will.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 8 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you