How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 116712
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My spouses great grandmother left her a trust fund when she

This answer was rated:

My spouses great grandmother left her a trust fund when she died in 2011, the same day she passed away her mother emptied it some how and now the IRS is looking at us to pay the taxes on it plus interest. What can we do to get this settled
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

The first thing you need to do is report the mother to the police for theft if she left the trust fund to your wife. The IRS will need proof of illegal action by the mom to get you out from liabilty for taxes. You will also have to sue the mother for breach of fiduciary duty, as it is likely she was the trustee which is how she emptied it and if she was not the trustee you would need to file suit against whoever the trustee was for violating the trust and allowing the mom to get the money out.

You will need to file both the criminal complaint against mom and civil suit and you will need to provide this evidence to the IRS to avoid being liable for the taxes due.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you