Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

like to know n my husband pass away 2 years a go a garnisment

like to know n my husband...
like to know n
my husband pass away 2 years a go a garnisment on my account at the bank my husband is on my check ing account what cant a
i do
9/4/2013
Infolawyer, Attorney

INFOLAWYER :

Hello and thank you for the question. I am sorry to read of this dilemma.

INFOLAWYER :

Garnishment is not proper as a general rule

INFOLAWYER :

the creditor has to have a judgment against the account holder

INFOLAWYER :

if that was done on default or where judgment not against all account holders

INFOLAWYER :

can take matter to court and have garnishment lifted and sometimes money returned!

INFOLAWYER :

Is the answer acceptable?

INFOLAWYER :

awaiting your reply

Customer:

my did receive a judgement by mail but my name is XXXXX XXXXX the judgemrnt

INFOLAWYER :

Good

INFOLAWYER :

The judgment may be vacated due to lack of sufficient notice

INFOLAWYER :

and fact that judgment is not against you

INFOLAWYER :

often court will decide that creditor may only reach 50% of the funds

INFOLAWYER :

where assets held by judgment debtor and someone else

Customer:

i am on social security and receive money for rental

INFOLAWYER :

Creditor may not reach social security funds

INFOLAWYER :

so the account money is from there

INFOLAWYER :

the account should be exempt as to your money

INFOLAWYER :

you want to take it to court to have it lifted

INFOLAWYER :

in the court where judgment and garnishment issued

INFOLAWYER :

I trust the answer is acceptable, and wish you the best!

INFOLAWYER :

Please let me know

Customer:

i will thank you

INFOLAWYER :

my pleasure

INFOLAWYER :

very welcome

INFOLAWYER :

I turned the rating on now

INFOLAWYER :

Kindly click on an excellent rating

INFOLAWYER :

Have a restful evening

Infolawyer, Attorney
Infolawyer, Attorney