How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 9339
Experience:  Since 1983
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


This answer was rated:

DOES THE FIRST BORN CHILD(SON)HAVE MORE RIGHTS OVER ESTATE? Also,if the oldest has a key to parent that passed home can he go into the home?
May I ask if the parent left a Will?

Under what circumstances did the oldest obtain the key?

Was the parent the only one using the house?

Do you know how legal title to the house is held?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1) yes

2) parent gave it to me long ago..

3) yes



Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The title to parent home is in his name(father that passed)

What did he say when he gave you the key?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it was for if he locked himself out of home again so I could get him in again.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the I was to have it in case he locked himself out again .he had done this often

Do you have a copy of the Will, or do you know who was nominated as Executor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no copy of will and do not know who executor is. Sister just said they know there is a will.

My opinion is that it would be appropriate for you and a sibling or at least a witness to enter the house and videotape the contents just so there is no argument later about supposedly missing items. The Will may be in the house, or there may be papers indicating where to find it, such as correspondence from an attorney. There may also be life insurance documents and other important papers in the house that need to be reviewed and there may be bills there to be paid.

Someone needs to secure the house and check on the condition of the property there. Otherwise, food may be rotting and other damage may be occurring. It may be necessary to cancel subscriptions.

You can get a free consultation from some of the probate lawyers listed by location here.

Based on the fact that he gave you a key, my opinion is that you do have the right to enter the house.

The oldest child does not have any rights superior to the other children.

I hope this information is helpful.
N Cal Attorney and 6 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the positive rating!

Related Estate Law Questions