How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 102143
Experience:  Fully licensed attorney in Texas in private practice.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my sister is terminally ill and currently in hospice. she

This answer was rated:

my sister is terminally ill and currently in hospice. she is married but her spouse does not responsibly handle their affairs more particularly the care or arrangements tbe able to that will be necessary as a result of her illness how do i go about becoming her personal representative if necessary in order to be the one who will decide on her arrangements

thank you
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I ma very sorry for your sister's situation. There are two ways that this can be done.

If she is cognizant and is willing to give you the power to do this, then all she has to do is (1) to sign a Power of Attorney that allows you to make decisions on her behalf on things like medical care, etc. You can see a sample of such a Power of Attorney here (or let me know if you need anything more specific)


(2) amending her will to ensure that you are the EXECUTOR of the estate, or at least, would take care of arrangements for anything that shew wishes. Let me know if you need a sample Last Will and Testament.

If she is not cognizant or is not willing to allow you to step in by refusing the above, then what you may have to do is to file for adult guardianship in Pennsylvania. See here. The Court will then appoint a guardian who can best take care of her. For this, an attorney is recommended. May I recommend the PA Bar referral program - here. The attorneys are vetted and qualified. You should be able to find an attorney you are confident with and whom you can trust, and who is available ASAP.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck. Please let me know if you need any sample documents.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you i will not need any further information i appreciate your response i also do not wish or authorize any further charges to my credit card other than the one time fee of $43.00 for this answer thank you again


You are very welcome. Good luck, and please don't forget to rate my answer in one of top three faces and then SUBMIT – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you – or, please REPLY to keep on chatting – I want you to be satisfied.

I will let customer service know not to charge anything else.
Ely and 2 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Estate Law Questions