How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Elder Your Own Question
John Elder
John Elder, Estate & Elder Law
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 14 years experience in Medicaid, Estates, Trust.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
John Elder is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There is no attorney of record regarding my mothers trust.

This answer was rated:

There is no attorney of record regarding my mother's trust. The attorney of record resigned in January of 2013. The Clinton County Court of Michigan sent a letter informing family members that the trust will close in 63 days. There are questions we need answered regarding the closing of the trust and tax implications for property not distributed yet.
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

An attorney is not required to represent a trust. The trustee of the trust would be responsible for answering the beneficiaries questions regarding tax implications and making distributions. Have you contacted the trustee regarding these questions?

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,


John Elder and 5 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The trustee is my brother in this case and he has no answers. He & another brother have chosen to sell assets,( land), belonging to me and I did not get any money from the sale. My brothers see no reason to keep the trust open after 8 years. My concerns are the tax implications for assets that go to me still in the trust, which is unsold farm land that the brothers want to buy, and what tax implications there will be for me on the money they owe me on my land that they've already sold.