Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
17897874

Can a trustee who is also a beneficiary be subject to a no

Can a trustee who is also a beneficiary be subject to a no contest clause?
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

Yes, a trustee is subject to an in terrorem or no contest clause for their acts as a beneficiary. A trustee is not subject to an in terrorem clause because there are other controls in place governing the trustee fulfilling their fiduciary duties and a no contest clause is just no applicable to a trustee because they represent the trust.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

JudgeLaw
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is it the job of a trustee to exclude a beneficiary on the grounds of undue influence? Can he be held responsible for his actions if he is doing so, so that he, who is also a beneficiary, will gain the other beneficiary's portion of the trust? What if his accusation is unfounded? Does he have to file in court to do this?

Thank you, Mary, for following up with me.

No, the trustee may not act on their own initiative to exclude a named beneficiary. There is a presumption that the trust is valid and it would be the burden of the trustee, or any other claimant, to prove any claim of undue influence.

The affected beneficiary could sue the trustee for breach of fiduciary duties for attempting to exclude the beneficiary without court order.

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you.

JudgeLaw
Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "JudgeLaw" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):  http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-JudgeLaw/

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, Mary, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please do rate me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.