How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 33067
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dad passed away 2 yrs ago will no will in place. there are

This answer was rated:

My dad passed away 2 yrs ago will no will in place. there are 3 children beneficiaries, all 3 of us agreed on distribution of assets for over a year. I was to receive my parents house but had to remodel it using my third of the money received from the estate. The property was then to be utilized by the 3 of us and our families for Christmas holidays etc but I would live in the home and would own 100% of it. After putting more than 100K in the home to remodel/update 1 sibling has decided she is entitled to one third of the value of the home. What is the law regarding this? does she actually have a claim to the house? The estate never went through probate as it should have due to an attorney issue. What should I do?
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.

My condolences on your father's passing. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you, but I believe I have information which you will find helpful.

You need to probate the estate as soon as possible. As an interested party, you are entitled to open the estate for probate. Your siblings have an equal claim to the estate and property as you do. It is difficult to enforce such an agreement as you made without having put it in writing.

You should, however, be able to claim your expenses in repairing and keeping up the house as an expense of the estate.

In any event, you should move quickly to get probate oversight of this. You can do it yourself, but it is strongly recommended that you retain local counsel to assist you.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

Loren and other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "JudgeLaw" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, Tammy, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please do rate me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You got it!
Thank you Tammy.

Related Estate Law Questions