How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 855
Experience:  9+ years of experience in writing wills and probating estates in a variety of ways.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My parents want to transfer their savings account to me plus

This answer was rated:

My parents want to transfer their savings account to me plus give me their home. Their home is paid for in full. How is the best way to do this?
The savings account is simple. You'd just need to accompany them to the bank and they would fill out the required paperwork to either cash it out and give it to you and you could deposit it in your own account, or put it in your name only.

As for giving you the home, they'd need to make a special warranty deed and deed you the home. You can either hire an attorney to draft the deed or there are several DIY sites that will sell the forms to you to be filled out and filed by you and your parents.

If they are doing this to avoid their assets being used for computation of Medicaid benefits, they should know that there is a five year look back where the government will look at the last five years of their finances to see if any extraordinary financial transactions have taken place. They can be penalized by having to wait before being granted benefits.
originallawyer and 4 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Estate Law Questions