How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 34473
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to sue my parents for mental anguish. I have solid proof,

This answer was rated:

I want to sue my parents for mental anguish. I have solid proof, witnesses, a history of mental issues that I have had to be treated for because of the things that they have done to me over the past 10 years. In a case that I just read where you helped a woman in a situation where she wanted to sue her parents you said that she needed to prove that: 1. The acts of your parents were intentional;
2. The acts were so outrageous as to shock one's sensibilities;
3. The parents' actions was the proximate cause of what you are suffering today; and
4. Your suffered actual damages - mental anguish, depression, anxiety, insomnia, etc. I HAVE BEEN THROUGH ALL OF THIS AND HAVE MUCH PROOF. What do I do next?
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.

What you are quoting is the prima facie case for a tort called "intentional infliction of emotional distress". A prima facie case means it is the minimum elements needed to plead a claim.

The classic law school example for this tort is when someone comes up to you and purposely shoots your dog in front of you.

Courts tend to shy away from finding liability for this type of claim since it is so subjective. It tends to be used as a fallback position for other intentional torts. This means that you sue someone for battery, assault and then throw in a count for intentional infliction of emotional distress. It is unusual to see it as a stand-alone claim, but that does not mean it can not be asserted.

You can pursue it pro se, but if you can get an attorney to represent you, it would probably make the case go much more quickly. If the case is strong the attorney should be willing to do i on contingency so it would not cost anything upfront.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

Loren and 2 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "JudgeLaw" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, Danielle, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please do rate me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.