How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10209
Experience:  Private Practice; Elder Law Attorney; Estate Planning; Attorney Mentor
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is regarding property in the County of Los Angeles, CA.

This answer was rated:

This is regarding property in the County of Los Angeles, CA. My mother passed several years ago then My father filed a Death of Joint Tenant and named me as joint tenant on his property before his passing and it has been recorded. Since his passing, now I must complete a Death of Joint Tenant Affidavit. I noticed on the new deed there is a bar code sticker with a date and one long number that was attached to the top right corner, this was not the case for my parents original deed dated in the 70's. The older deed had the instrument number, book and page numbers stamped. Where do I now get this information for completing the affidavit?

Thanks! Julie

LegalGems :

Hi; My goal is to provide you with great service - if you have any questions during our chat, please ask! I'll do my best to ensure your satisfaction!

LegalGems :

I am downloading the form you can submit to the recorder's office to get this information. Many counties assign instrument numbers (the bar code you are referencing), which is how they keep track of their records. When they scan the bar code, it pulls up all documents relating to that property. The older deeds will have the number, book and page number. One moment please.

LegalGems : - where it states "Book & Page/Document number" you can put the barcode number. Alternatively, you can call the tax assessor, give them the property address, and they will have the instrument number, book and page numbers.


Thank you very much! This is very helpful and answered my question. Thank you for the link to the document.

LegalGems and 6 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
I wanted to be sure and thank you for using JA/Pearl.

I hope you found the information I provided useful.

If you would like to request me for your future legal inquires, please put TO LEGAL GEMS in front of the question, and I will do my best!
Take care.

Please be sure and complete the customer satisfaction survey the site will be sending you so that I can continue to provide affordable information to our customers. Thank you!