How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 56549
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandmother became ill several years ago and my sister and

This answer was rated:

My grandmother became ill several years ago and my sister and I were BOTH supposed to share decisions regarding her health care and ultimately the division of her belongings. However, my mother paid for my sister to fly down to Texas where SHE placed my grandmother in a low cost nursing home alone and took everything my grandmother had left for herself. Both my mom and sister did not inform me until AFTER my sister returned. According to them, my grandmother left us nothing (??), which I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX have been very emotionally affected since I was not even able to tell my grandmother I love her or help at all before she died alone in that nursing home (she fell and broke her hip and passed within one month). I would have brought her to my home to care for her. I was a nurse at the time and was quite willing and able, but was never even informed. And I am almost positive she had life insurance. What can I do to be sure? And can I pursue this family betrayal? Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Hello and thank you for the question. I am sorry to read of this dilemma.
Do you have access to her financial papers?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't have access to any financial papers, my sister removed everything from her residence when she went there. I never even got to see them.

You have a few options. You may contact large insurers directly in writing and inquire about a policy. You may also demand she produce those documents. You may check with the court if any will or other instrument filed. You may also have a lawyer press her and motion the court to compel such disclosure and accounting. Is that clear and would you like a lawyer directory to help with that last option?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX would like a directory of lawyers to help with disclosing to see if there was anything my grandmother wanted me to have.

Gladly. The best are and
Both highly rated and easy to use.
You want a lawyer with focus on estate practice and good investigatory/asset searching back up in the office.
Good luck and have a nice weekend.
Kindly click on an excellent rating for the answer.
Infolawyer and 2 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you