Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  30+ yrs. handling probate estate, wills, trust, inheritance & real estate related matters
18215332

Are all military veterans given/entitled to a monitary payment

Are all military veterans given/entitled to a monitary payment upon their death. Reason behind question; When my step-father passed, I remember my mother applying/receiving a small, one time payment, from the US Army and similar from Social Security.

My father-in-law just passed and I am helping with his small estate, dont want to miss any financial opportunties. He was not married and has no minor children.

Hello and thanks for submitting this question. You should contact the local VA about his eligibility for funeral expense allowance. For non-service connected death it is up to $700. See:

http://www.military.com/benefits/burial-and-memorial/burial-allowance.html

There is also a Social Security one time death benefit. see: http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/202/~/lump-sum-death-payment

I hope that this information is helpful. Please click on a smiley face so that I will be compensated for assisting you. If you have a follow up question please send me back a Reply without entering any rating. Also, be sure to verify this information with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures. Thanks again for using Just Answer. Your business is appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

just one follow-up: How do I attempt to find out if he was

receiving VA pension or compensation at the time of death or
he was entitled to receive VA pension or compensation, but decided not to reduce his/her military retirement or disability pay?

The VA should be able to provide you that information. Without a surviving spouse or minor children I'm fairly sure that such benefits, if any, would lapse on death. But the VA rep can look up his records and tell you for sure.