How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118175
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a bank account for my autistic son but want to put it

This answer was rated:

I have a bank account for my autistic son but want to put it in his special needs trust. How do I change it. Do I designate the owner as the trust? And also do special needs trusts need to be recorded in florida? I called the clerks office and they said no but I thought they were supposed to. Also same question about my husbands and my trusts. Thanks.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

To transfer the account in the special needs trust, if you are on the account, you simply have to change the account ownership card over to the special needs trust by filling out a new card at the bank. The alternative is taking the money from the account and closing it and then open a new account in the name of the trust.

Trusts are not recorded in FL and most states. The whole purpose of a trust is to maintain protection of assets and also anonymity and if you register them, then you lose that anonymity.

Your husband's and your trusts are handled the same way. They are not registered anywhere. To transfer property into the trusts you change the deeds or account holder cards to change names on accounts.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so for the sake of anonymity do I use son's name in the name of the trust such as the Bob Smith Special needs trust or name it something arbitrary?
Thank you

You can use your son's name on the special needs trust. Some people do not use names, but there is nothing saying you cannot use his name as you stated above. Privacy is only one reason for using trusts, asset protection is the main reason. Most special needs trusts are named for the individual. Other trusts are named for the family name of the grantor or for the grantor and I have seen few personal trusts named just random names, those are usually done on very large trusts where privacy is needed for whatever reason by the parties forming it.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you