How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55700
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have personal belongings stored in my mothers attic. I have

This answer was rated:

I have personal belongings stored in my mothers attic. I have not lived there for over a year. She is not letting me in the house without her there and now she is not answering my calls or texts. I live in NJ. I do own her 10k dollars which I have been paying monthly at least a hundred dollars. There is no formal agreement for this loan. How can I legally get my stuff.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. She has no legal right to hold your possessions hostage. Even though you may owe her money, unless you signed a security agreement giving her a lien on the possessions or she has sued you and been awarded a judgment, she has absolutely no claim on your possessions. In your situation, you want to send her a letter by certified mail demanding she allow you to retrieve your possessions at a reasonable time acceptable to both of you. Give her several alternatives. Let her know if she does not respond and/or allow you in, you will have no choice but to file suit against her for the value of everything. Let her know you will also be seeking punitive damages due to her intentional bad faith. The letter should be all you need, but if not, the suit will get the leverage and collection options you need because once the suit is filed and a judgment awarded, you become a judgment creditor, and if the losing party doesn’t then pay the judgment, you can have the sheriff serve a summons on the losing party for a debtor examination. That forces the losing party to meet the judgment creditor in court and answer questions under oath about the losing party's assets. After that information is obtained, the judgment creditor has the power to garnish wages, attach bank accounts, have the sheriff seize other personal property, and/or place liens on any non-homestead property to satisfy the judgment.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Richard and 3 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: