How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55701
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother was named the executor of my fathers estate. Its

This answer was rated:

My brother was named the executor of my father's estate. It's a small estate. There is a house that is not in probate, I believe, in AZ where my father was living. I have had no updates on probate/the estate in 7 months. The house has sat empty for almost 2 years since my father's passing. The attorney my brother hired will, of course, not speak to me. However, after a conversation with the secretary today, they have not been able to communicate with by brother since April. He is completely non-complaint. I don't have a lot of resources. I'm a single mom with 6 of my children still living at home. I need some advice on what I can do.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. You should take action. This estate and his assets are not your brother's personal piggy bank. If he hasn't probated the will, you can file your own petition with the court asking the court to order it produced and filed. The court will then order your brother to produce it and if he does not, he will be held in contempt of court and subject to civil and/or criminal sanctions. Once administration begins, the executor has a fiduciary duty to each beneficiary and each beneficiary is entitled to a copy of the full inventory of assets and periodic accounting of every dime in and out of the estate. A typical estate, presuming no unusual complexity should be completed with 6-9 months of the date of death. Since your brother as the executor has failed to produce the inventory and periodic accountings, and failed to timely administer the estate, you should file to have him removed for breach of fiduciary duty. If there is any misappropriation of estate assets, you can also ask the court to award actual and punitive damages against the executor.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. I do not know all the terminology of this type of law. The estate is in probate, from what I understand. It seems to have been in this state for 22 months now. Can I hire an attorney to write to the estate atty and get an update? If I could, I would take over as the Executor and just finish this out. I worry that my children will end up with nothing that my father left for us.


Thank you,



Thanks for following up. Yes, you should engage a lawyer to write the letter and demand an update within a short specified period of time. Let him know if he fails to respond and/or to get this estate closed shortly you will be taking the actions I referenced above. And, if he has misappropriated anything that should have come to you, you can collect against him personally.
Richard and 3 other Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: